Swift, James Frederick
b Manchester 1847, d Liscard, nr Wallasey, Merseyside (Ches) 1931. Living in Liverpool for over 40 years from boyhood onwards, he was organist in at least 3 of the city’s churches, starting at Cranmer St Wesleyan Chapel (aged 14) and rising to be deputy organist at the St George’s Hall with its notable organ. In 1881 he revived the Liverpool Musical Soc, and conducted many local choirs. He moved to Liscard in 1892 and remained there for the nearly 40 years which remained. He also composed more than 200 songs, some published under the name of Godfrey Marks. No.851.