b Southwark (Surrey/S London) 1832, d Speldhurst nr Tunbridge Wells, Kent 1909. His first home was near the site of Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre and of his father’s vinegar factory. Brasenose Coll Oxford; BA 1854, MA 1857. Ordained in 1856; curate at Bishopsworth nr Bristol; then of Ardingly and Ticehurst, both in Sussex. Rector of Northill, nr Biggleswade, Beds, from 1866 to 1891 when ill health including deafness induced him to resign, and retire to Speldhurst. He edited Hymns fitted to the Order of Common Prayer (translated from Lat and Syriac as well as new texts) in 1861, the year of the 1st edn of Hymns A&M of whose committee he was a Charter member. In retirement he concentrated on hymnody and liturgy, editing The Free Rhythm Psalter in 1898. Nos.169, 473.