b St Pancras, London (Middx) 1835, d Tottenham, N London (Middx) 1909. He learned his musical skills in London under Sir Frank Bridge and J B Calkin qv, and became organist at St Michael’s Wood Green, 1856; Holy Trinity Tottenham, 1859; and of Tottenham Parish Ch, St Paul’s (All Hallows’?), 1870–1909. He was also instructor at the women’s teacher training college in Tottenham (St Katharine’s), from its beginnings c1880. K L Parry writes of ‘his genius for getting satisfactory results out of meagre choral and instrumental resources’. He was music editor of The New Mitre Hymnal (1875) and composed some 50 hymn tunes. BMus, Oxford, 1884. Nos.233=801, 546.