b Chelsea, W London (Middx) 1826, d Croydon, Surrey 1912. Studied music under Sterndale Bennett, John Goss and Cipriani Potter; after organ posts with 3 W London and city churches he settled at Holy Trinity Brompton from 1847 to 1874. With the incumbent Wm J Irons (not the composer H S Irons) he published in 1855 a Metrical Psalter…for singing at each Sunday service throughout the year. His One Hundred Hymn Tunes followed in 1857. During his 26 years at HTB he enlisted (Sir) Arthur Sullivan’s help at special choral and musical events. He enjoyed a long retirement at Croydon. He was also a piano recitalist, school music teacher, member of the Philharmonic Soc, and composer of glees, partsongs, cantatas and anthems. No.300.