b Woodhouse, West Down, Olveston, Glos 1859, d Kensington, W London 1949. Charterhouse Sch, Trinity Coll Oxford (BMus 1880, MA Classics and Mod Hist 1881, DMus 1896); also studied at the Leipzig Conservatory of Music in 1882. He was Organist of St Barnabas’ Pimlico from 1883, Ely Cathedral from 1887, and Christ Ch Cathedral Oxford 1892–1909, when he retired to Woodhouse and continued to compose church and organ music. At the age of 80 he worked for a wartime government department. He wrote anthems, liturgical settings, 2 sonatas and several hymn tunes. First conductor of the Oxford Orchestral Assn and of the Oxford Bach Choir; precentor of Keble Coll; Choragus of the Univ; Music ed of The Oxford Hymn Book, 1908. Nos.184, 579=627.