Gilbert, Walter (William) Bond
b Exeter, Devon 1829, d Headington, Oxon 1910. He studied music against the wishes of his family and, encouraged by his vicar, was allowed to practise on the church organ at St Thomas’s Exeter. From there he graduated to the cathedral organ and was taught by S S Wesley and Sir Henry Bishop. After brief periods at other churches and some teaching at Tonbridge Sch he became organist of the Old Collegiate Ch in Maidstone, Kent. He held a similar appointment at Boston, Lincs for 2 years, but in 1869 began his 28-year term of service at Trinity Chapel, New York. While in the USA he was among the first to introduce there the music of contemporary English composers. No.507.
William is published by Praise! online at number 1205