Calkin, John Baptiste
b London 1827, d Hornsey, N London 1905. One of a large musical family, he first learned the organ from his father James (1786–1862). He succeeded E G Monk (qv) as organist at St Columba Coll, a Protestant Public Sch at Rathfranham, Dublin, from 1846 to 1853. On his return to London, further appointments were at Woburn Chapel (1853–63) and Camden Rd Chapel (1863–68), and finally at St Thomas’s Camden Town (1870–84). He was FRCO, a member and then Director of the Philharmonic Soc, Council Member at the GSM (where he was Prof), and Trinity Coll of Music, and Organist of Regent Sq Chapel. He composed in many modes, but pre-eminently for hymnody; 2 of his tunes are in CH, each used 3 times, and 3 are in GH. Nos.420=710, 678.