b Colyton, nr Seaton, S Devon 1825, d St Andrews, Fifeshire 1897. Christ’s Hospital (public sch), W Sussex, and King’s Coll London; declining to follow his father by training for the medical profession, as first intended, he was ordained (CofE) 1848. He became Vicar of Lee Marston, Warwicks, in 1854, and then the Episcopalian incumbent of St Andrews, Fife, 1870–93. His last years were spent at Pitlochry (now in Perth and Kinross), but he died on a visit to St Andrews, the scene of his longest ministry. He published Hymns for Churchmen in 1854, and 8 years later, Hymns for the Children of the Church, also other verses and prayer collections. Julian mentions some 16 of his hymns and applauds their smooth rhythms, direct aim, simple language and ‘deep earnestness’, but only one has made a lasting impact. No.237.