b Birmingham 1767, d Birmingham 1822. Violinist and cellist; precentor at Carr’s Lane Meeting House aged 20, then (for 34 years) at Ebenezer Chapel, both in the home town where he spent his life. He was also landlord of the Crown Tavern, Gt Charles Street, to which his growing church moved in 1818. Published Twenty-four Tunes in four parts, composed chiefly to Dr Watts’ Psalms and Hymns. 39 more tunes and 11 arrangements appeared in 2 further instalments, one posthumous; all were printed together in 1828. Nos.48, 862.