Monk, William Henry
b Hanover Square, London, 1823, d Stoke Newington, London 1889. Organist at St Peter’s Eaton Sq (1841), St Paul’s Portman Sq (1845) and other London churches. From 1847 he was at King’s Coll London as Choir Director; among other musical posts he held at the same time including teaching blind pupils, he was notably Organist of St Matthias’ Stoke Newington from 1852; there he established a daily choral service with volunteer choir, plainsong Psalms and music geared to the church’s calendar more strictly than was then usual, holding the post until his death. From 1874 he was also Prof of Vocal Music at Kings’. He became the first musical assessor for Hymns A&M, 1861 and later edns, he is also credited with suggesting its title, and many of the pairings of words and music which became almost universal. The first edn with 15 of his tunes and over 60 arrangements was nicknamed ‘Monk’s Book’; the numbers were second only to those of J B Dykes (qv) in its 1889 edn. Edited the ‘Tractarian’-leaning journal The Parish Choir and books of Psalms, hymns and anthems, including some for the Ch of Scotland. Hon MusD (Durham) 1882. Nos.79=392, 204, 347, 414, 515, 552, 880, 905.