Martin, George Clement
b Lambourn, nr Newbury, Berks 1844, d London 1916. On hearing Herbert S Oakeley (qv) play the music of Bach in his parish church at Lambourn, Martin resolved to become a musician. Not having played a note until he was 16, he then began to learn the organ, and every week he would cycle the 44-mile round trip to Oxford and back for lessons with Sir John Stainer (qv). In 1871 he was appointed as private organist to the Duke of Buccleuch for the daily services at Dalkeith Palace nr Edinburgh, this was followed by a spell at St Peter’s Luton Place, in the city itself. In 1874 he moved to London as Stainer’s assistant and Master of the Choir School at St Paul’s Cathedral (FRCO 1875), finally succeeding him as organist in 1888. Meanwhile he was Prof of Organ at the RCM (1883) and RAM (1895); he also composed many secular songs. He was knighted in 1897, having composed a setting of Te Deum which was sung at Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee that year. Also DMus Lambeth (1883) and Oxford (1912). His book The Art of Training Choir Boys became a standard church manual. He died at Amen Court at the age of 71. Nos.472, 856, 900.