b London 1745, d Lambeth, S London (Surrey) 1815. Blind from infancy, in 1772 he became organist of the Lock Hospital Chapel near Hyde Park Corner (aka Carlisle Chapel; see also T Haweis, author, and F Giardini); he moved on to other London appointments at St Katharine Cree, St Mary Lambeth and Orange Street Chapel (Congregational) before returning to ‘The Lock’, 1790–97. Some of his first tunes were printed on separate sheets from 1791 onwards, at 3d a time. He trained children’s choirs and wrote some secular music and church anthems, as well as several hymn tunes published in the 1769 and 1792 editions of the Collection at the Hospital. 1810 saw the appearance of his A Set of Hymn Tunes and Anthems for Three Voices, dedicated to William Wilberforce, MP. No.198.