Lee, James Vernon
b Hove, Sussex 1892, d Southampton, Hants 1959. Committed to the work of the Boys’ Brigade, he was an officer of its Brighton Battalion from 1910, became its adjutant in 1914, but then joined the army and won the MC in the 1914–18 war. Between the wars he was bursar at Caterham Coll and was the army’s entertainments officer for the S Wales District 1939–45 (MBE). A professional entertainer himself, he offered ‘magic and music’ shows including a Royal Command Performance at Windsor, 1937; in 1940 he was awarded the Magic Circle’s ‘Gold Star’. He was a church organist who wrote several hymn tunes, and spent his later years at Ditchling, Sussex. No.720.