b Masborough, Rotherham, Yorks 1858, d Bradford, Yorks 1922. Son of Wesleyan Methodists, he began to deputise for his father on the organ from the age of 11. He also played the violin and double-bass. Taught at the Rotherham Wesleyan Sch, trained at Westminster Teachers’ Training Coll (1877), and subsequently taught in Sheffield, Bradford and Leeds. MusB from Cambridge. Widely praised as a teacher of music, but was content to compose part songs and hymn tunes. 5 of his tunes are in the 1904 Methodist Hymn Book, on whose committee he served; 7 are in the Methodist School Hymnal of 1911. He edited the Woodhouse Grove Song Book for the school where he taught at Apperley Bridge, Bradford. No.25=216.