Hopkins, Edward John
b Westminster, London (Middx) 1818, d Camden Town, N London 1901. One of a musical family, he was a Chapel Royal chorister at the age of 8 (1826–33), proficient at the organ from boyhood and accompanied services at Westminster Abbey even before being appointed at 16 as organist of Mitcham Parish Ch, Surrey. After similar posts at St Peter’s Islington (1838) and St Luke’s Berwick St (in London’s W End, 1841), he moved in 1843 to the Temple Church in the City, where he remained for 55 years, raising its musical and choral level to the high standard which became traditional and was maintained long after his time. Among other work, he was Prof of Music at the Royal Normal Coll for the Blind at Norwood, S London, and in 1864 was one of the founders of the Royal Coll of Organists (later the RCO) and 10 years later of the Musical Assn. He continued to give recitals until his 78th birthday. Among numerous writings for and about the organ are The Organ, its History and Construction (with E F Rimbault, 1855); The Temple Choral Service Book (ed), Chope’s Congregational Hymn and Tune Book and Grove’s Dictionary of Music (contributor) and most notably The Cathedral Psalter. He composed much organ music, and was music editor for Presbyterian and other books used in the UK, Canada and Australia; 10 of his hymn-tunes appeared in the earlier eds of A&M and 22 in The Church of England Hymnal of 1895. Hon Lambeth MusD, 1882 and Trinity Coll, Toronto 1886. Nos.224, 572, 764.