Harris, William Henry
b Lambeth, S London (Surrey) 1883, d Petersfield, Hants 1973. A chorister at St David’s, S Wales, where he was educated; then at RCM studying organ and composition. 9 years as asst organist at Lichfield Cathedral from 1911 onwards were followed by two Oxford appointments as organist, at New College 1919–29, then at Christ Ch Cathedral; 1929–33. He then moved to St George’s Chapel Windsor, remaining until 1961. Meanwhile he also taught organ and harmony at the RCM, 1921–53 (Director of Studies, 1956), and in 1951–52 was music editor of the hymn-book of the (Anglican) Church in Wales. He composed much choral, organ and other church music. KCVO 1954. No.741.